Controls Based on Treatment Windows – Summer
SUMMER: JULY THROUGH EARLY SEPTEMBER
Stages of pests. Most pests continue to be very active through the summer, though BTA and HRM are not.
- RBM — Mites are actively feeding and reproducing. Mites are residing in the newly formed rosette bud and will remain there until bud break of next year.
- EHS — All stages present. Another flush of white as the males pupate and emerge is seen in August.
- BWA — Adults laying eggs. All stages including eggs, crawlers, nymphs and adults present.
- BTA — Eggs.
- Cinara aphids — Cinara aphids may be active.
- SSM — All stages present including eggs, immatures, and adults.
- HRM — Typically inactive as it is too hot except for the highest elevation fields.
- Predators — Most predators are active and commonly found.
Advantages to applications during the summer. This is a good time to control EHS. Cinara aphid control for trees to be harvested can begin in August, so combing control of those two pests can occur then.. Twig aphid control for the following year with bifenthrin products is better later in the summer as well.
Disadvantages to applications during the summer. It is hot, making it hard for the applicator to safely spray and wear the appropriate PPE. Predators and pollinators are both very active and can be impacted by pesticide applications.
|Bifenthrin products(Talstar, Sniper)||None||None||Excellent||Good to excellent for next year.||Excellent if applied in August or later.||Excellent||None but typically not needed.|
|Asana||None||May be some suppression but not long lasting control.||Excellent||Fair for next year.||Excellent if applied in August or later.||None.||None but typically not needed.|
|Dimethoate||None||May be some suppression but not long lasting control.||Poor||None||Excellent if applied in August or later.||Excellent control of active mites but eggs not controlled.||Good control if mites are active.|
|Asana + Dimethoate||None||Excellent||Excellent||Fair for next year.||Excellent if applied in August or later.||Excellent control of active mites but eggs not controlled.||Good control if mites are active|
|Safari||None||Excellent||Excellent||None||Good if applied in August or later.||None.||None.|
|Safari + Sniper (or other bifenthrin product)||None||Excellent||Excellent||Good to excellent for next year||Excellent if applied in August or later||Excellent||None but typically not needed.|
*BTA control is for the following spring.
**Cinara aphid control is for harvest of that year.
For more information on mite control see: Focus on Mite Control.