Types of Sprayers
Backpack mistblowers have a small gasoline-powered engine that drives a fan similar to a leaf-blower. The liquid pesticide is typically in a 3-gallon tank. The nozzle is gravity fed, and as the pesticide falls into the air-stream, it is broken into fine droplets.
- provides excellent coverage
- suitable for spot treatments
- control settings allow adjustment of spray volumn to suit needs
- sprays several feet to allow treatment of tall trees
- highly driftable
- is expensive for a hand-held uinit
- is heavy and noisey for the operator
- may result in pesticide exposure for the operator
- requires frequent fill-ups if more than a few trees are being treated
- very labor intensive
Most Effective Spray Pattern:
Treat trees from opposite directions. Treat no more than 2 rows at a time.